Wednesday, August 31, 2011

My go-to morning smoothie

I've been asked a lot by friends and family what I eat for breakfast. I've never been a morning person, so breakfast, especially on weekdays was always difficult, as it was hard to make time. But I know the importance of eating in the morning now and have become addicted to smoothies for two reasons -- fast and delicious!
 
Raeanne's go-to smoothie
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 2-3 tsp flax oil
  • 1 tbsp (heaping) seed mix (see 'recipe' below)
  • 1 scoop of protein powder, I use Genuine Health Vegan Protein+ Vanilla
  • 3 1-inch chunks of banana -- fresh or frozen
  • 1/4 cup of berries -- fresh or frozen, I use a combination of blackberries, blueberries and raspberries or whatever I have on hand
  • 1 handful (or 2!) of spinach leaves

Put all ingredients into a large magic bullet cup or a blender and pulverize it! Drink it! And say YUM!

Notes:
  • I would make sure you put in something frozen (berries or banana) as it will chill the smoothie and I find it tastes a lot better. Otherwise I would likely throw in some ice.
  • All amounts are approximate. I never measure -- no time for that!

Seed mix
  • 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
  • 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup raw sesame seeds
  • 1/2 cup chia seeds
  • 1/2 cup flax seeds
  • 1/2 cup hemp hearts

Pour all the seeds into a large glass jar (3-cup), put the cover on and SHAKE! Store in the refrigerator.

This is packed with well over 20g of protein, good carbohydrates, fiber, and lots of good fats (Omega3s a plenty!). It easily keeps me full for 3 to 4 hours. Obviously there are tonnes of variations, and I change it up with what I've got on hand, but when I'm half asleep in the kitchen, this is most often what gets made!

If you try it let me know! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment